The use of CBD among athletes is becoming more common as they discover the benefits to the body. Some studies show the famous cannabinoid helps maintain the body’s immune and endocannabinoid system, regulating balance and promoting well-being. Athletes are sharing their success stories of CBD usage on a regular basis as part of their training regimen.
#DerrickMorgan, NFL linebacker discovered the potential benefits of CBD on brain health and is looking further into CBD’s role there, knowing that a healthy brain keeps you at the top of your game.³ #GabbyDouglas, Olympic gymnast uses CBD to help with recovery support from typical bodily stresses and related soreness associated with exercise, #KerriWalsh Jennings, Olympic beach volleyball player uses CBD for sleep support, #YairPanteraRodriguez, UFC fighter, uses CBD to help with the recovery process,³ #TealStetsonLee, professional cyclist, uses CBD to help with injuries and sore muscles, #JudithHagger, professional triathlete, uses CBD to soothe tight muscles¹ and professional golfer, #BubbaWatson touts CBD keeps him from experiencing soreness.¹
Until recently, any type of cannabis use among pro athletes was not allowed, but in 2018, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) removed CBD from the list of prohibited substances for professional athletes provided it has no more than a specified amount of THC. CBD is now recognized as a natural relief for sports recovery thanks to the recent discovery of and education around the Endocannoboid System in our bodies. CBD interacts with the receptors within our endocannabinoid system to help get our neurotransmitters back under control in order to maintain homeostasis within our bodies.4 Athletes are realizing this and turning to CBD for five main reasons:
- Strengthen Immune System: CBD’s natural properties can help strengthen the immune system keeping the body in top condition.¹
- Reduce Inflammation: Too much inflammation hinders recovery and hurts performance. CBD binds to receptors in the brain, periphery & immune tissue to help your body’s natural ability to dial down inflammation to the exhausted areas.²
- Speeds Recovery: CBD anti-inflammatory properties help alleviate soreness associated with recovery. (9)
- Improve Sleep Quality: Getting better sleep is an effective way to achieve greater training gains. One potential reason for this could be CBD inhibiting the reuptake of adenosine. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) breaks down as your brain burns carbohydrates for energy, and adenosine gradually accumulates in the brain. More adenosine binding to neurons inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, slowing down brain activity, helping you feel calmer, and inducing sleep.(8)
- Natural Relief: CBD is an alternative to over the counter medicine as it is a non-psychoactive treatment for soreness.²
All these natural benefits do wonder not just for athletes, but for anyone looking to live a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to get your CBD from reputable companies, like Beneficial Blends, and confirm the CBD products you are using do not have any detectible THC.
All these natural benefits do wonder not just for athletes, but anyone looking to live a healthy lifestyle. It’s important to get your CBD from reputable companies, like Beneficial Blends and confirm the CBD products you are using do not have any detectible THC.
“These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any statement, product or ingredient referenced is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your physician before taking cannabis products.”
- CBD Snapshot https://www.cbdsnapshot.com/these-5-professional-athletes-swear-by-cbd-heres-why/
- Murillo-Rodriguez, Eric, et al. “Anandamide Enhances Extracellular Levels of Adenosine and Induces Sleep: An In Vivo Microdialysis Study.” Sleep, vol. 26, no. 8, 2003, pp. 943–947., doi:10.1093/sleep/26.8.943.